Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September Morning

It's morning time & for some reason I seem to be waking up later than usual.  I think it has something to do with the upcoming time change.  But what a beautiful morning it is - the sun is out, the sky is blue with hardly a cloud floating by.  The temps dropped down last night to around 36 degrees & as corny as it sounds, there is a crispness to the air.  Fall in Michigan is beyond beautiful.  When the trees start to change, it is simply breath taking with various colors everywhere.  But with the color change, also comes cooler days & nights.  The plants are starting to die back & there are still tomatoes to harvest, but not as many as in the previous weeks.  More gourds have emerged on long stretching vines & my hope is that they will mature in time for next spring.  I have so many projects lined up - tables that need to be painted, samplers that need to be cross-stitched & a trick to finding that perfect white pumpkin.  Orange pumpkins can be found anywhere, but white pumpkins or lumina are tricky to grow, so when I see them I pounce.  I love the look of the white as well as some of the beige colored ones - heck, I love all of them.  As I drive around the countryside, I am so disappointed that there are no apples.  We live in a rural area where apple, cherry & peach orchards abound, but due to the quirky weather in March the apples were completed wiped out.  I feel badly for the growers as they depend on their crop for survival.  Just goes to show that we should never take anything for granted. 

Yesterday afternoon, a friend who works with my daughter stopped by with several old city directories.  She was intriqued by the stories of Mrs. ReShore & wanted to share some history.  We had a wonderful conversation.  She left the directories for me to read & I look forward to piece together the ReShore Family.  She also let me know that one of our older citizens has a couple of pictures of the ReShore house.  I have a picture of Mrs. ReShore, but none of the house that we have inhabited for the last 30 years, so am excited to get a copy & will hopefully share.  As for now, I'm off for another cup of coffee & begin to start my day.  Happy fall wishes to everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. I miss Fall in Michigan. There is nothing prettier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. The leaves are just starting to turn & just saw two big pumpkins & a "white" one down the street in someone's yard. Just hope no one steals them!

      Delete