Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My View from the Hill

Woke up this morning to intense fog surrounding our city block.  I'm always fascinated by how the weather reacts to the changing temperatures.  Dowagiac (just say Doe-wa-jack) where I live is located about 22 miles from Lake Michigan and we seem to be in a direct path of whatever blows across the big lake.  Be it rain, sleet or snow - we get it all.  It warmed up yesterday, so should not be surprised to find "London Fog" this morning.  I always expect Sherlock Holmes to step into the street light, pipe in mouth & magnifying glass in hand.  No such luck.  Just the neighbor backing down their driveway getting ready for another day at work.

Yesterday was the husband's 66th birthday.  We've been married over 30 years, but I've known him since junior high.  The crazy fool was smitten with me way back then, & hopefully after all these years still is.  I wish I could say that he took the day off & just lounged around, but that isn't in his DNA.  He is a working fool & spent the day painting a huge piece of construction equipment that needs to be finished by the end of the month.  Phone calls & facebook messages were left for him, mostly by females, as he is a charmer by nature.  Woman love him & rightly so as he is very handsome, but more importantly he is kind & generous - sometimes to a fault.  He is always there for a friend, neighbor or stranger.  He loves to read, garden & tinker.  He also loves cemeteries & has several photo albums of various places he has visited & the unique monuments he has found.  I always joke that my Friday night dates consist of ending up in some remote cemetery with overgrown weeds & dead flowers.  We don't always agree on everything, but he has been my rock for many years.  For me, I will always remember the blond haired boy on his Schwinn bicycle giving me his ring and asking me to go steady with him.  Pretty sure there are days when he wishes he never made that gesture, but it is what it is.  So Happy Birthday Bill Bobik - the younger man I married & love.   

3 comments:

  1. That's very sweet Barb. I saw your link on FB and followed it here. Penny told me you had started a blog, but I've been on the go too much to take a look until now. I started at the beginning and have now read and enjoyed all your posts. Keep it up. I'm looking forward to more info about the ReShores. BTW, I'm enjoying my finds from the Lund estate sale. Trig's Swiss Army knife goes with me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, Those were such lovely things to say about Bill. He is the kindest person I know, except when we children. He was not always nice to his big sister. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! Hope he wasn't too hard on you, but I know how that sibling stuff works! Enjoy Trig's knife & nice to have something to remember Dowagiac's history.

    ReplyDelete