Sunday, April 28, 2013

APRIL SHOWERS BRING MAY FLOWERS

"I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden."  ~Ruth Stout

Spring has reluctantly arrived in my neck of the woods & definitely in a confused state.    One day the sun is shining, the birds are singing & everything is right with the world.  Next day, it's like a hangover from the party that took place the day before.  Cold, wet & rainy & all one wants is to take a long nap.

It took its sweet time getting here, but finally my daffodils pushed forth & the tulips are just on the verge of creating a beautiful color palette for all to enjoy.  My forsythia bush is in full bloom despite being warm & sunny one day & cold, wet & rainy the next.  I do have to say that the color is not only vibrant, but spectacular.  Does the blue round garden ornament look familiar?  Yes, indeed it is one of the two I bought last year.  Bowling balls......keep your eye out for them as they make for great garden décor.   

 
 
 

This past week has been a very busy one for me.  Since my son's accident almost a year ago, he goes to physical therapy three times a week at our local hospital.  I drive him there, drop him off & pick him up an hour later.  Tuesday found me in our neighboring town of Niles to get my haircut & do some grocery shopping.  Wednesday, I traveled to another small town to help with an estate sale of a friend and antique dealer.  Her husband passed away a year ago quite unexpectedly.  They lived in a Tudor style house in Berrien Springs overlooking Lake Chapin.  The house is large, to large for just one person, so she purchased & moved into a smaller one closer to town.  Thirty plus years of furniture, smalls & memories needed to be removed.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the outside, but pictures can be seen on Google, Olsen Realty, Jerry Barefield (Snow Road).

The sale started on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.  People were lined up ready to grab whatever they could afford & promptly at the appointed hour, the door was opened to a throng of shoppers.  This is a large house with many rooms & even now I can't remember exactly how many, but a lot.  The day was very spring like with the sun shining, but the following day was cold & windy.  But it was in no way a damper on the items being sold.  It was a sale of high end furniture, eclectic items including the zebra skin hanging above the fireplace.  Ironically, it was the first item sold on opening day.  Makes quite a statement.  For my friend, I wish her well in her new home knowing that she still has the memories of a long shared life overlooking the water.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The last photo was taken late in the afternoon after the sun briefly made an appearance.  Let's just say that the view alone from the deck makes this a "million dollar" view.  It was a fun couple of days, but was exhausted to say the least & came home with just a few much needed items.  An iron, because mine is shot & an old wood hoe.  Now that is something that we can use not only in the garden but in my poorly neglected flower beds. 
 
Mr. B spent the last couple of days readying the garden.  Things needed to be moved as it is necessary to rotate crops so as not to deplete the ground.  Out of all the gourds we planted last year only 7 made it through the winter, so we need to come up with a better growing plan. 
 
 
Looks pretty dismal, but by August it will be lush & green with an overflowing of never ending tomatoes, which I truly love & with some luck many vines full of wonderful gourds.  I've met spring not only in the garden, but standing on a deck overlooking a ravine & enjoying all that spring has to offer. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment