Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Happy Halloween.  Normally this is a fun holiday for me, but not so much the last couple of years.  Prior to my mother passing away on October 15,2005, Halloween was a holiday that was shared by her, my aunt, sister & grand kids coming to my house for Sloppy Joes and assorted treats.  I was the stopping off place for the country grand kids to gather for pictures & then a quick rush out the door with a parent in hand to scurry up and down the streets surrounding our house.  When finished with their appointed rounds back they would come & try to eat something, but far too excited to see what "goody loot" they were given.  The day my mother passed away, my world was completely shattered.  It was very unexpected & the thought I not having my mother to call or see anymore was very hard for me & my two sisters to handle.  So that year, I just could not bring myself to pass out treats as all I wanted was for my mother & aunt to be there.  Each year becomes easier, but still no great joy as it is a reminder that neither my aunt or mother are with us anymore.  This year was even harder as my two grandsons who normally would be here, had moved to Florida in August, so just didn't see the sense, not to mention it was a miserable cold, wet and rainy day & night.  So maybe next year I'll be in better spirits & who knows maybe I'll have a couple of small tricksters coming in my back door.

1 comment:

  1. I know this time of year must be difficult for you. We are hoping to get a chance to see Jennie and Paul and family some time before Christmas. The kids will be here for a week in December. Take care.

    ReplyDelete