Tuesday, November 27, 2012

All that glitters is not gold

Remember a few posts back where I showed a pictured of the "goodies" we picked up the day of the Washington Street sales?  In the picture, were a couple of boxes of red & gold ornaments that I planned to use for a wreath along with a faux green wreath that I picked up at Goodwill for a dollar.   Well, finished the wreath & thankfully on that same day I was able to buy one big box of red glass ornaments of different sizes for a couple of dollars as it turned out I needed all of them for the wreath.  It was a big wreath & my picture is not the best, but it does show how it turned out.  It looked a whole lot better in person & has already gone off to a new home.  I'm now working on a second one, much smaller with the gold ornaments & some red ones.  I have to say, other than the tons of hot glue, this is one easy & inexpensive project for something that normally sells for big dollars in the catalogs.  There is still time to make one.  Goodwill usually has boxes of ornaments for a good price as well as the wreaths.  Most of the Dollar stores have a good supply of inexpensive ornaments, so grab your glue gun, lots of glue sticks & get to gluing.  I remove the metal cap, but not necessary.  Just start placing the bulbs in a pleasing pattern & glue.  I attached a ribbon bow, but again looks great without.  For the red wreath, I didn't have enough gold ornaments to use, but any combination works well.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Love your wreath! Would love to make two of them with silver balls for my double front door. Not sure if I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it! I was lucky with the red one as the box of ornies I bought had big, medium & small. Just made another with the red & gold & I really like it - off to Hart City tomorrow. This project is so easy - wreath, various ornies & lots of glue. Took me about 2 hours for the red one, less on the red/gold - I would love to see silver or silver/gold, but couldn't find the ornaments & had to keep it on the inexpensive side. We should have gone over to Linda's the day we were in Elkhart - totally forgot. Thanks as always for the compliments.

      Delete
  2. The wreath is gorgeous and you are right, they sell for much more. Now I need to get over my fear of glue guns!

    Hope all is well with you up there in Dowagiac. Any snow yet?

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. It was fun & easy. Just finished one with red & gold. I like it alot. Off to Hart City hopefully to be sold. Glue guns can be wicked, but I managed to make the red/gold with just one mishap. I always forget to have cold water close by. Started off my crafting career making wreaths out of dried flowers, so these were fun & easy. No snow as of yet. Couple of cold days but dreading the winter weather. Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated

      Delete